- 259 (Registered)
Crisis Prevention from Robin Gilbert & Rachel Cartwright-Vanzant
Crisis Prevention Early Recognition, Management of Patient Emergencies from Robin Gilbert, Rachel Cartwright-Vanzant
The difference between nursing and effective nursing, is the ability to see what is coming… but with so many diagnoses having overlapping or mimicking symptoms, it can be easy to miss the subtle clues your patient is giving you that can help differentiate conditions.
With a combined experience of over 50 years, the experts in this course will share effective and time-tested strategies you can implement immediately to rapidly detect clinical changes in your deteriorating patient.
You will have a clearer understanding of the body’s complex, interrelated organ systems so you can break them into component parts and fully understand how one organ system can cause a sign or symptom in another. Plus, you’ll gain the BEST interventions for Cardiac, Neurological, Endocrine, and Respiratory emergencies!
Never again will you miss the subtle changes in your patient that could lead to BIG trouble!
Identifying the Red Flags
- ABC’s for when your patient suddenly deteriorates
- 4 Quick “to do’s” to identify potential problems
- Population specific considerations
- Mean arterial pressure equation
- Elevated intracranial pressure
- Clues for when you don’t have a monitor
- Ischemic vs. hemorrhagic stroke
- Inclusion/exclusion for tPA
- Critical labs for determining best treatment option
- Malignant headaches
- Simulation lab review — interpreting the patient’s presentation
- Acute coronary syndrome
- Acute MI (STEMI or NSTEMI)
- Unstable angina
- Heart failure
Respiratory, Renal, and Endocrine
- Pulmonary Emergencies
- Acute respiratory failure: diagnosis & management
- Stages and treatment of acute renal failure
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic stage
Fluid, Electrolyte, & Shock
- Symptoms and treatment of sepsis
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Recognizing and treating GI bleeds
- What blood gases can tell you
- Putting it all together with case studies
- Causes, signs and treatment of sepsis
- Diagnostic tests to differentiate sepsis from other possibilities
- Treatment of septic shock
- Diagnostic tests, labs, x-ray, and imaging that can help with diagnosis of a CV emergency
- Acute myocardial infarction
- Cardiogenic shock
- Pulmonary edema
Anaphylaxis and Diabetic Crisis
- Immediate treatment steps anaphylaxis shock
- Diabetic ketoacidosis vs. hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state
- Labs that give clues in diabetic crisis and its resolution
Pulmonary and Hypovolemic Crisis
- Causes leading to a pulmonary crisis
- When asthma is no longer simple
- Who is most likely to develop acute respiratory failure and what to do when they do
- Causes of hypovolemic shock
- How fluid resuscitation can save a life
Robin Gilbert, RN, MSN, CEN, CPEN, has over 25 years’ experience in emergency nursing. A number of her years in emergency nursing included experience in a pediatric emergency department at Boston Medical Center. She is both a certified emergency nurse and certified pediatric emergency nurse. Robin has experience as an emergency department manager, manager of cardiac & pulmonary rehabilitation and, currently, as the regional manager for staff development at Central Maine Medical Center. She instructs the NCLEX review class for Kaplan and tutors nursing students online for a local college of nursing. Her experience also includes having been an item writer for the Board Certification of Emergency Nursing and a former Chairperson. Robin was the coordinator for her employer’s “Pathway to Excellence” designation, which was received in 2012.
In her role, Robin is able to remain current in the trends and best practices standards for care of the pediatric population. Robin received her BSN from Curry College, Massachusetts and her MSN from Saint Joseph’s College, Maine. Robin is an active member of the Emergency Nurses Association, the American Nurses Association, Society of Critical Care Medicine, and a reviewer for the ANCC’s Pathway to Excellence program.
Financial: Robin Gilbert has an employment relationship with Central Maine Medical Center and Rumford Hospital. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Robin Gilbert has no relevant nonfinancial relationship to disclose.
Rachel Cartwright-Vanzant, PhD(c), MS, RN, LHRM, LNCC, CCRN-K, has over 28 years of clinical, management and consulting experience. Rachel is a legal nurse consultant certified (LNCC) and a licensed healthcare risk manager (LHRM), and she holds a forensic nurse certificate (FNC). In addition to owning a medical and legal consulting business, she is currently enrolled in the Public Policy and Administration: Law and Policy PhD Program at Walden University. Rachel is an innovative educator committed to advancing the field of nursing. She is a member of the National Speakers Association and the Global Speakers Federation. Rachel has the ability to make complex concepts understandable and clinically useful, which adds significant value to her presentations.
Rachel’s nursing experience includes work in critical care, renal transplant, dialysis and surgical areas. She has extensive experience in open-heart surgery recovery (OHSR) and was responsible for developing and implementing a new cardiothoracic program’s first OHSR plan from the ground up. As a legal nurse consultant, Rachel works with attorneys, law firms and healthcare organizations to review and evaluate medical records for compliance with standards of care and regulations posed by accreditation agencies, including The Joint Commission. She is the President of the South Florida AALNC Chapter and has been an expert witness for medical negligence cases. She is a published author in textbooks and peer reviewed journals and continues to speak nationally on other healthcare related topics.
Financial: Rachel Cartwright-Vanzant is receiving a fee for speaking at this educational activity.
Nonfinancial: Rachel Cartwright-Vanzant has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
More From Categories : HEALTH – FITNESS – LIFESTYLE – MEDICAL
Curriculum is empty
The world's leading collection of online courses, you can find the courses you need at Crabprofit.com. Please contact me if you need more information.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Comodo SSL encryp
- Learn Anywhere on any device
- Lifetime Support
- Full lifetime access
- Language: English